Friday, April 3, 2009

Buried Child

Okay, between the way Sam Shepard was presented and people who had read the play were talking about it in class I was once again not happy to have to read this play. The only difference was I had no clue what the play was about, so I read the back of the script and still had no clue what the play was about. Then I read the play and still had no clue what the play was about. Here's the strange thing about this all, despite the fact that I had and still have no clue what happened I liked that play. I feel like with this play Professor Newby said it all in her comment that Sam Shepard's plays are all about the "experience of the play."

I really would like to see this play done on stage because I feel like the majority of it is lost in reading. Like the scene where Tilden covers Dodge with the corn husks, in reading it you're thinking about how long and ridiculous this section of stage directions is. But, I think that if you're to see this action the feeling would be different, I'd probably laugh because I wouldn't know what else to do; I mean if you think about it, it is a kind of ridiculous thing to do. This script had a LOT more stage directions then anything else we've read which means a lot of the experience of the play is in watching the characters and their movements on the stage.

The play doesn't really make sense but I don't think that matters, does anyone else feel like it doesn't matter that there is no rhyme or reason to this play?

No comments:

Post a Comment