Friday, April 17, 2009

The Lullaby

The song I decided to take a look at was the Lullaby sung by Mother Courage at the end of the play. She is singing this song to her dead daughter Kattrin. The irony of the song is that she is singing about how wonderful Kattrin's life is, as if she were still alive and just a crying baby. The second line is: "The neighbor's kids cry but mine are gay". I think that Brecht put this line in there to show that Mother Courage thoroughly believes that she did the best thing in carrying her kids through the war, despite the fact that she lost all three of her kids. This song shows the strength of a women in her darkest hour. It made me feel sad for her, when I wouldn't have because I kind of think she deserves it.

Lullaby:
"Lullaby, baby, what's that in the hay?
The neighbor's kids cry but mine are gay.
The neighbor's kids are dressed in dirt:
Your silks were cut from an angel's skirt.
They are all starving: you have pie.
If it's to stale, you need only cry.
Lullaby, baby, what's that in the hay?
One lad fell in Poland. The other, who can say?"

Does any find anything else in here that I missed?

No comments:

Post a Comment